Thursday, February 11, 2016

Poppies Work In Progress 2.11.16


A glimpse of poppies, work in progress

Currently, there are four paintings in various stages of completion.  Today, I'm showing the most recent progress of number 4.  Sorry... right now, that's its title.  It's definitely an unusual composition.  I didn't want to mess with the original photo layout.  I took a risk and broke some rules with this one.  The petals themselves have given me a challenge but it's still coming along.



"Through the dancing poppies stole  A breeze most softly lulling to my soul."  John Keats



There are layers of color built up in the background.  It appears green at a glance, but I've been adding blues and violets.  Sometimes, that bold color gets a little lost once it dries.  In the back of my mind, I'm considering cropping this for a better composition.  That decision will be a tough one.  I'll wait to see what the end piece looks like.  There are certain areas that I enjoy more than others.  Two of the three centers are very close to being complete.  The poppy on the far left has more to be done in defining the petals, shadows, and center.  The fine details around the center still need attention.  Salt crystals still lay on the paper's surface where I wanted more unusual texture.  The salt will be brushed away before I can continue to work the background.

"But pleasures are like poppies spread, You seize the flower, its bloom is shed; Or like the snow falls in the river, A moment whitethen melts for ever."  Robert Burns






I'm keeping this post a bit shorter so I can get back to the painting sooner.  The photo below shows my favorite area...lovely places of pale orange against I may choose this type of composition for Giclee prints.


"Gentle sleep!  Scatter thy drowsiest poppies from above; And in new dreams not soon to vanish, bless My senses with the sight of her I love."  Horace Smith







I've got a few shots to share, for a change of pace...

The first is a shot of my palette mix of colors as they blend into one another.  This is the broad center area.  I just can't have enough mixing areas!






Here's a view of the watercolor paper I use to test my color mixes.  I mix the paint on the palette and then check it here.  It's my way of being sure the mix is truly what I wanted before it's applied on the painting surface.  

I've wanted to experiment with abstract painting for a long time.  I find it difficult to understand how I could make that transition.  The thought came to me, what if these paint swatches could be the answer.  I am thinking about how these sheets of color testing could have another purpose.   Sometimes, as I am drifting off to sleep, I see beautiful abstract colors and shapes.  Putting them on paper would be quite a challenge.













Well, today's post is shorter than usual.  I wanted to share something else but it's not ready yet.  I made my first video a few weeks ago.  It was a fun experiment!  I set up a tablet to record while I worked on the background for another poppy painting.  I'll be explaining more in that post.  It should be ready to share next week!

Are you trying out a bit of art yet?  Maybe it's a doodle on the notepad during a phone call with a friend.  Whether you feel like the title artist fits or not, it's so good for all of us!  I know the crazy procrastination that happens, keeping us occupied with other things.  Believe me, I know!  I fight it every day.  Grab an index card and a pen...go for it!



Christy

-she must make art.






No comments:

Post a Comment